Week 1 of the NFL season is finally here! That means it’s our job to give you a low-down on the IDP relevant players that may end up missing week 1 due to injuries. Some players, are on the cusp of sitting or playing as well. It’s important for you to keep up with the waiver wire as much as possible! Especially this season, with COVID still lingering. The injury bug has already bitten a few teams this off-season. Let’s take a look at the Week 1 Injury Report!
Atlanta Falcons/ S/ Keanu Neal – Questionable
Neal is becoming a favorite to be a bounce-back candidate for a lot of IDP degenerates. He hasn’t had the best luck when it comes to staying healthy. Two years ago, he tore his ACL. Last season, he tore his achilles in week 3. As a result, he sat out the rest of the season. Atlanta has been bringing him back slowly. Coach Quinn has said that he may have some limitations when Neal is ready to return. These type of injuries aren’t always easy to come back from. This is partly why he is still on Atlanta’s injury report. It remains a question if Keanu will be able to return to his old form. Neal did pass the 100 tackles milestone his first two season in the NFL. Neal is a DB2 with DB1 upside.
If he can stay healthy, Neal should definitely be in consideration to be a weekly starter for your fantasy IDP squad. The NFC South is a pass heavy division, so Neal should see plenty of action. That gives him the opportunity to bring plenty of points to your team. There are a couple guys I’d consider drafting instead of Neal, or guys you could use to fill in. First off, Harrison Smith is being drafted after Neal at DB12. Smith has been a model of consistency during his NFL career. The guy who sits behind Neal on the depth chart, Damontae Kazee, is a guy I’d look to replace Neal if it comes down to it. He could fill in nicely for the Falcons and your IDP team if Neal gets injured again.
Start or Sit? – Start
Minnesota Vikings/ DL,DE/ Danielle Hunter – Questionable
Sending some people into a frenzy, Danielle Hunter has missed the last 12 practices during training camp. Practically missing all of the team’s OTAs, Hunter has an undisclosed injury. Coach Zimmer has called it a “minor tweak”. Then, the Vikings traded for Yannick Ngakoue. Some rumors swirled that Minnesota brought him in because Hunter wasn’t healthy. With all the practices he has missed, it’s natural to be a little worried about whether Hunter is going to play or not. Zimmer has said that the team is just being cautious about Hunter’s recovery. With him being one of the best defensive ends in the league, it’s not really a surprise.
Hunter was recently seen doing stretch drills with the team. He did sit out of individual drills though. With him participating somewhat in camp now, there is hope he will be ready for week 1 against Green Bay. The addition of Yannick gives the Vikings one heck of a pass-rushing duo. If for some odd reason Hunter is not ready to go for the beginning of the season, look to add Ifeadi Odenigbo or Ngakoue for a nice fill in. Although it does look like he will be ready to go, his status will be something to keep an eye on. Hunter still holds his DL1 value. It might even get a decent bump with Ngakoue able to grab attention away from Hunter.
Start or Sit? – Start
San Francisco 49ers/ LB/ Fred Warner – Questionable/COVID
Fred Warner might very well be the first major IDP victim to miss some time due to COVID. Early last week, the 49ers place him on the reserve/COVID – 19 list. This means he could have either tested positive for it, or was in close proximity/contact with an infected person or persons. Warner is supposed to start at inside linebacker for the 49ers this season. With Warner possibly missing a game or two to start off the year, the linebacker group doesn’t look as formidable as it did with Warner in the lineup. Azeez Al-Shaair is the next man up in San Francisco. He totaled just 17 tackles in 2019. I wouldn’t go grabbing him off the waiver wire just yet though.
If you drafted, or have Kwon Alexander and Dre Greenlaw on your IDP squads, then you’re in luck. They stand to benefit most IDP points wise with Warner’s absence. They both are pretty solid players in their own right. With Fred on the reserve/COVID list right now, they could log a decent amount of defensive snaps to help fill in on defense. We learned this off-season that if a player does test positive for COVID, it’s likely they will miss at least 3 weeks worth of games. Fred Warner is currently the LB11 according to IDPGuys September ADP. For Warner owners, this is slightly alarming. Until we find out if he did test positive it or not, it’s best to expect him to at least miss week 1.
Start or Sit? – Sit
Notable IDP Players For Week 1 Injury Report
1. Arizona Cardinals – Robert Alford/ CB, DB/ Pectoral/ IR
3. Baltimore Ravens – Justin Madubuike/ DT, DL/ Leg/ Questionable
4. Buffalo Bills – Levi Wallace/ CB, DB/ Knee/ Questionable – Quinton Jefferson/ DE, DL/ Illness/ Questionable – Niles Scott/ NT, DL/ Undisclosed/ Questionable – Josh Norman/ CB, DB/ Hamstring/ Questionable
5. Carolina Panthers – Eli Apple/ CB, DB/ Hamstring/ Questionable – Zach Kerr/ DE, DL/ Illness/ Questionable – Derrek Thomas/ CB, DB/ Illness/ COVID-19 Reserve – Jason Ferris/ LB/ Undisclosed/ Questionable
7. Cincinnati Bengals – Darius Phillips/ CB, DB/ Lower Leg/ Questionable – Carlos Dunlap/ DE, DL/ Lower Body/ Questionable – Jordan Evan/ OLB/ Hamstring/ Questionable – Mackensie Alexander/ CB, DB/ Personal/ Questionable – Shawn Williams/ S, DB/ Calf/ Questionable – Trae Waynes/ CB, DB/ Pectoral/ Out
8. Cleveland Browns – Myles Garrett/ DE, DL/ Wrist/ Questionable – Curtis Weaver/ DE, DL/ Foot/ IR – George Obinna/ DE, DL/ Triceps/ IR – Trevon Young/ DE, DL/ Undisclosed/ IR – Grant Delpit/ S, DB/ Achilles/ IR – M.J. Stewart/ CB, DB/ Hamstring/ Questionable – Greedy Williams/ CB, DB/ Shoulder/ Questionable – Mack Wilson/ LB/ Knee/ Doubtful – Kevin Johnson/ CB, DB/ Abdomen/ Questionable
9. Dallas Cowboys – Sean Lee/ OLB/ Sports Hernia/ IR – Luke Gifford/ LB/ Undisclosed/ Questionable – Xavier Woods/ S, DB/ Undisclosed/ Questionable – Chidobe Awuzie/ CB, DB/ Leg/ Questionable – Jourdan Lewis/ CB, DB/ Ankle/ Questionable – Azur Kamara/ LB/ Undisclosed/ IR
18. Los Angeles Chargers – Derwin James/ S, DB/ Knee/ IR
24. New York Giants – Xavier McKinney/ S, DB/ Foot/ IR – David Mayo/ OLB/ Knee/ IR – R. J. McIntosh/ DT, DL/ Foot/ Questionable – Blake Martinez/ ILB/ Undisclosed/ Questionable – Darnay Holmes/ CB, DB/ Lower Body/ Questionable
25. New York Jets – Patrick Onwuasor/ ILB/ Knee/ Out – John Franklin-Myers/ DE, DL/ Groin/ Questionable – Marcus Maye/ S, DB/ Calf/ Questionable – Jordan Willis/ DE, DL/ Knee/ Questionable – Tarell Basham/ OLB/ Hamstring/ Questionable – Pierre Desir/ CB, DB/ Hamstring/ Questionable – Jabari Zuniga/ DE, DL/ Quadriceps/ Questionable – Brian Poole/ CB, DB/ Illness/ Questionable – Kyron Brown/ CB, DB/ Quadriceps/ PUP
26. Philadelphia Eagles – Hassan Ridgeway/ DT, DL/ Lower Body/ Questionable – Will Parks/ S, DB/ Lower Body/ IR – Avonte Maddox/ S, DB/ Lower Body/ Questionable – Genard Avery/ DE, DL/ Lower Body/ Questionable – Marcus Epps/ S, DB/ Lower Body/ Questionable – Vinny Curry/ DE, DL/ Lower Body/ Questionable – Derek Barnett/ DE, DL/ Ankle/ Questionable, Javon Hargrave/ NT, DL/ Pectoral/ Questionable – Daeshon Hall/ DE, DL/ Knee/ PUP
27. Pittsburgh Steelers – Robert Spillane/ LB/ Finger/ Questionable – Stephon Tuitt/ DE, DL/ Undisclosed/ Questionable – Chris Wormley/ NT, DL/ Shoulder/ Questionable – Terrell Edmunds/ S, DB/ Undisclosed/ Questionable
28. San Francisco 49ers – Julian Taylor/ DT, DL/ Knee/ PUP – Ronald Blair III/ DE, DL/ Knee/ PUP – Jason Verrett/ CB, DB/ Hamstring/ Questionable – Dre Greenlaw/ LB/ Concussion/ Questionable – Marcell Harris/ S, DB/ Ankle/ Questionable – Nick Bosa/ DE, DL/ Leg/ Questionable – Dee Ford/ DE, DL/ Calf/ Questionable – K’Waun Williams/ CB, DB/ Calf/ Questionable
29. Seattle Seahawks – Branden Jackson/ DE, DL/ Spine/ IR – Benson Mayowa/ DE, DL/ Undisclosed/ Questionable – Tre Flowers/ CB, DB/ Ankle/ Questionable – Jamal Adams/ S, DB/ Finger/ Questionable – Bruce Irvin/ LB/ Hip/ Questionable – Emmanuel Ellerbee/ LB/ Undisclosed/ IR