Some quick points on defensive lineman you should be targeting in trades or on the waiver wire.
• I’m expecting more from LA Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald.
The perennial training camp holdout who signed a monstrous extension before the regular season has registered only one tackle per game through the first three weeks. The three total tackles this season are definitely underwhelming for one of the top IDP players, and expecting the star DL1 to begin rattling off sacks is justifiable.
Beginning in Week 5 of 2017, Donald went on a four-game streak by recording a sack in each game. By Week 10, Donald had six sacks and 21 tackles.
Donald recorded a three-game sack streak in 2016 beginning in Week 4. In six of Donald’s first eight 2016 games he recorded at least three tackles.
Double-teams be damned, I feel like the production is right around the corner. One of the NFL premiere defensive players will soon return to his expected IDP DL1 level.
• The Arizona Cardinals signed defensive end Benson Mayowa from the Dallas Cowboys in the offseason. Mayowa, creeping into a safe DL4, seems to be on the up for IDP purposes. So far in 2018 the defensive end has 14 tackles and two sacks. I’m interested in the tackles here, because that provides a safe floor, and you could do worse.
• I chased down and jumped on the bandwagon for Indianapolis Colts defensive end Margus Hunt after a lot of IDP Guys’ podcast mentions. Hunt showed up big again Sunday with a sack, forced fumble, fumble recovery and three tackles. This is on the heels of his Week 1 two-sack performance. Hunt is tied with Colts’ sensational rookie linebacker Darius Leonard in the tackles for loss category.
• Buffalo Bills defensive end Jerry Hughes looked reborn Sunday. Hughes, 30, led the Bills defensive line in snaps with 45 of 66. He also recorded a sack, forced fumble and one tackle. The Bills travel to Lambeau Field on Sunday and should play an aggressive scheme looking to attack quarterback Aaron Rodgers.
• New England Patriots defensive end Deatrich Wise will be an intriguing start should Trey Flowers be unable to play again Sunday against Miami. Wise produced a sack and three tackles in Week 3 after producing 1.5 sacks and two tackles in Week 1. Wise shouldn’t cost you much if you’re looking for an upside-pickup when looking for a free agent.
• The five solo tackles from New York Jets defensive lineman Leonard Williams in Week 2 were more than he had in any 2017 game. As an IDP asset Williams underwhelms. But the Week 2 production is promising.
• If you got this far I want to let you know the IDP Guys’ group chat went nuts urging to pick up Minnesota Vikings defensive end Stephen Weatherly. Should Everson Griffen miss time, Weatherly, who recorded one sack and five tackles against a terrible Buffalo offensive line, would step in.
[podbean resource=”episode=iuqnb-9ac4f4″ type=”audio-rectangle” height=”100″ skin=”1″ btn-skin=”107″ share=”1″ fonts=”Helvetica” auto=”0″ download=”0″ rtl=”0″]