Taking a look at the NFL week 1 from a IDP perspective; notes on what our writer @Orangeman3142 saw this weekend.
We kicked off the season with a god awful Thursday night affair between the Falcons and Eagles that set records for penalties and was generally tough to stomach. The Sunday afternoon games though were outstanding and had plenty to enjoy from both a football fan and IDP fantasy point of view.
So let’s do some overreaction and maybe a personal “Come to Jesus” as we talk about what we got right and what we didn’t.
Philadelphia Eagles vs Atlanta Falcons
- A garbage fire of a game filled with penalties and offensive ineffectiveness. Philly wins on defense.
- In water is wet news, Deion Jones led the Falcons IDP production. (9 comb tackles, 2 PD, 1 INT).
- Keanu Neal tore his ACL and the heart out of IDP owners everywhere, I’ll have some waiver wire replacements coming out this week in article form and on the show.
- Grady Jarrett put up solid DT numbers once again. (5 comb tackles, .5 TFL).
- Jordan Hicks had a great game but beware the return of Nigel Bradham next week. That is sure to shake up the Eagles linebackers production. (7 comb tackles, 1.5 sack, 2 TFL, 1 PD).
- Fletcher Cox put up solid DT numbers. (2 comb tackles, 1 sack, 1 TFL).
Pittsburgh Steelers vs Cleveland Browns
- That was one wild ass game! First week one tie in 50 years.
- Vince Williams and Jon Bostic both showed up but I lend that more to the game conditions (rainy, a lot of running and short passes and an extra 15 minutes to pad stats) but it looks like Williams is the one to own (8 comb tackles, 1 TFL).
- Cameron Heyward was awesome, especially if you had him in your DT slot (7 comb tackles, 1 sack, 1 TFL).
- Terrel Edmunds was terrible, one pass defense and that’s it.
- Myles Garrett is going to be a monster if he can stay healthy all year (6 comb tackles, 2 sacks, 1 PD)
- Schobert and Kirksey did decent but tackles were spread around pretty evenly. A good portion of Schoberts IDP points came in overtime and INT are impossible to predict so you can’t rely on them for consistent IDP points. (8 comb tackles, 1 PD, 1 INT and 5 comb tackles, 1 PD).
Cincinnati Bengals vs Indianapolis Colts
- Same old Andrew Luck, good thing I didn’t buy him anywhere.
- Nick Vigil went crazy (11 solo tackles, 2 TFL) but remember after week 4 the whole linebacker situation changes. You can use him now and until then safely but when Burfict comes back expect a shakeup.
- Jessie Bates with the surprise safety production for the Bengals (8 solo). We’ll keep an eye on this the Bengals safeties usually don’t show out like this so it may just be a flash in the pan.
- Preston Brown was decent but so far not worth his ADP (5 comb tackles, 1 INT). Got to remember INTs and Sacks are bonuses and you can’t rely on them for weekly production.
- Atkins and Dunlap were solid as usual (4 comb, 1 sack, 2 TFL and 2 comb, 1 sack, 1 TFL, 1 PD) while Carl Lawson was not (1 QB hit). Beware the Lawson hype, it seems premature at this point.
- Darius Leonard was the winner in the new Colts LB corps (9 comb tackles). Anthony Walker and Skai Moore split time at MLB and neither was awesome (5 comb tackles and 2 comb tackles).
- Clayton Geathers showed us why he deserves the SS spot and not Mathhias Farley (7 solo tackles vs 3 comb tackles).
- Jabal Sheard underperformed but has historically been solid. I’m gonna keep plugging him in (2 comb tackles, 1 PD).
- Margus Hunt did great and could be a nice DL flier this year. (3 comb tackles, 2 sacks, 3 TFL).
San Fransisco 49ers vs Minnesota Vikings
- Jimmy GQ is the most handsome QB in the game but the hype got out of hand. He couldn’t put up against a playoff caliber team. Cousins looked solid and Cook didn’t even really blow up and Minnesota still won fairly comfortably. They’re going to be one hell of a team this year.
- Fred Warner went crazy at LB (12 comb tackles, 1 TFL, 1 PD) so get it while it’s hot. Once Malcolm Smith and Ruben Foster come back he may not be in their lineup. Foster has one more game (suspension) and Smith is injured.
- DeForest Buckner was a wild man and made me feel immediately comfortable that I put him as #1 overall DT this year (7 comb tackles, 2.5 sacks, 3 TFL).
- Jaquiski Tartt has started hot and as long as he stays healthy will continue to be a Safety 1 that few people drafted\ knew about unless you were following us all offseason (6 comb tackles, 1 TFL, 1 PD).
- Harrison Smith showed off why he belongs in the top 10 of our safety rankings (8 comb tackles, 1 sack, 2 TFL, 1 PD, 1 INT).
- The entire defensive line ate today. Linval Joseph (4 comb tackles, 1 FF) Sheldon Richardson (6 comb tackles, 0.5 sacks) Danielle Hunter (4 comb tackles, 1 Sack, 1 TFL) and Everson Griffen (4 comb tackles, 0.5 sacks, 1 PD) all were productive and the defensive tackles in particular were dominant.
- Eric Kendricks and Trae Waynes had a slow start but have always been reliable, don’t panic yet. (4 comb tackles, 1 PD and 2 comb tackles, 1 PD).
Tennessee Titans vs Miami Dolphins
- The longest game since the merger in 1970, two rain delays and not many fireworks until the 4th quarter.
- Wesley Woodyard is the linebacker to own until Rashan Evans establishes a role for himself (12 comb tackles).
- Jurell Casey played got you solid DT points (6 comb tackles, 2 TFL).
- The Titans secondary didn’t have an ideal match-up but still produced. Malcolm Butler (5 comb tackles, 1 TFL, 2 PD) Adoree Jackson (4 comb tackles) Kevin Byard (3 solo tackles, 1 PD).
- Reshad Jones continues to be the MVP IDP for the Dolphins. (7 comb tackles, 1 TFL, 2 PD, 2 INT).
- Mincah Fitzpatrick was productive despite not being named a starter. (6 comb tackles, 1 PD).
- Kiko Alonso and Raekwon McMillan had average games despite an ideal matchup. (6 solo tackles, 1 PD and 6 combined tackles).
Houston Texans vs New England Patriots
- This is not the Deshaun Watson I remember. Shades of the Jimmy legs that Brady and Palmer had immediately after their ACL injuries.
- Cunningham and Mckinney were solid, so far so good. (8 comb tackles, 1 PD and 6 combined tackles).
- JJ Watt had 3 tackles. That’s it. No sacks, no TFL. I bet the under on season sacks with Bovada and feel rather comfortable about it so far. Clowney didn;t show up either (2 comb tackles).
- Tyrann Mathieu looks to be an IDP startable safety with his new team so far (5 comb tackles, 1 PD, 1 INT).
- Devin McCourty is still the only tackle-dependent IDP I want on the Patriots (7 comb tackles).
- Tre Flowers started off with a bang (5 comb tackles, 1.5 sacks, 1 TFL).
New Orleans Saints vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Between this game and the Pittsburgh tie nearly 45% of our IDP guys survival pool players are done after week 1. What the hell happened here? Fitzpatrick with 4 TDs and a million yards? Saints lose to Fitzmagic???
- Kwon Alexander and Lavonte David led the way for Bucs tackles, no surprise here (9 comb tackles, 1 TFL and 9 comb tackles).
- Gerald McCoy produced a game worthy of his overvalued name for IDP DT (3 comb tackles, 1 TFL).
- Demario Davis led the way for the Saints. I’m still not buying it though. There was alot of offense in this game and plenty of tackle opportunities. Show me more. (8 comb tackles, 1 TFL)
- Marcus Williams had a great game and to a lesser extent so did Vonn Bell. No Kurt Koleman to be seen (6 comb tackles and 4 comb tackles).
- Cameron Jordan had the type of game we expected him to. (6 comb tackles, 1 PD).
Jacksonville Jaguars vs New York Giants
- If Barkley runs like that every week he’s going to be a dud more often then not. That one nice run saved his otherwise god awful day. This tap-dancing crap behind the line is going to give people heartburn.
- Myles Jack took that MLB slot and did exactly what we thought he would with it. (10 comb tackles, 1 PD, 1 INT, 1 TD). He looks to make that move forward we’ve been talking about all offseason. You’re welcome.
- Telvin Smith and Barry Church did well also. (7 comb tackles and 6 comb tackles, 2 TFL, 1 PD).
- Campbell and Ngakoue had a sack apiece salvaging their days.
- Ogletree and Collins did well but didn’t put up the huge numbers I expected. (7 comb tackles, 1 PD and 5 comb tackles, 1 PD).
- Snacks Harrison continues to show why he belongs in the top 3 for all DTs in IDP. (6 comb tackles, 1 TFL).
Buffalo Bills vs Baltimore Ravens
- This game went exactly how I said it would. The Ravens dominated time of possession with 35 minutes of offense. The Bills had all day to make plays on IDP and they sure did.
- Lorenzo Alexander was the surprise tackle leader as the SLB. I expect this was more a result of the way this game went and less a thing we should expect weekly. (8 comb tackles, 1 PD).
- Both Tremaine Edmunds and Matt Milano did very well and both were starts according to IDP Guys. (7 comb tackles, 1 sack, 2 PD and 8 comb tackles, 2 TFL).
- Jordan Poyer did well and Micah Hyde did not. Hyde was spotty sometimes last year too. If your team can’t afford a boom or bust guy then grab another safety off waivers. (8 comb tackles and 3 comb tackles).
- CJ Mosley led the Ravens in tackles but due to game script had fewer opportunities than usual to score IDP points, don’t worry about it. Never sit Mosely. (5 comb tackles).
- Za’Darius Smith was the surprise of the game for Baltimore. The LB will be on everyones radar this week. I’ll look into it but upon first inspection I’m suspecting a flash in the pan. (5 comb tackles, 1 sack, 2 TFL, 1 PD).
- Tony Jefferson and Terrel Suggs did well but scored most of their points on bonus plays (Sacks, INTs). (4 comb tackles, 1 TFL, 2 PD, 1 INT and 2 comb tackles, 1 sack, 2 TFL).
Kansas City Chiefs vs Los Angeles Chargers
- I got this game way wrong. It doesn’t help that Bosa is hobbled and could be out multiple weeks but this Chiefs offense had its way with the Chargers.
- As predicted by me and Gary (@Hbogart27) Anthony Hitchens was the Chief LB to own. (15 comb tackles, 2 TFL).
- Reggie Ragland and Kendall Fuller also did as expected if not better than. (7 comb tackles and 6 comb tackles).
- Derwin James didn’t have a ton of tackles but put up bonus points elsewhere, not a great sign but I’m going to keep starting him. He may be boom or bust like Budda Baker was last season. (3 comb tackles, 1 sack, 2 PD).
- Desmond King has taken advantage of the injuries in the LA secondary and is producing like he did all last year, buy him if you still can. (5 comb tackles, 1 TFL, 1 PD).
- Despite not being listed as a starter the linebacker with the most LA tackles was rookie Kyzir White. (6 comb tackles).
- The rest of the Chargers linebackers didn’t perform well and this entire unit is an avoid for me until we find out what is actually going on here.
Seattle Seahawks vs Denver Broncos
- Russel Wilson did his best to compete without Doug Baldwin and most of the Legion of Boom and came up just short.
- A pair of corners (Flowers and Griffin) led the Seahawks in tackles this week after a sub par performance by Wagner. (5 comb, 1 TFL, 1 PD). Corners are notoriously spotty so don’t follow the tackles here, things will be back to normal soon with Wagner and KJ Wright leading the team in tackles each week.
- Bradley McDougald who I’ve been selling as a buy low\under the radar safety with tier 1 potential backed me up 100%. (5 comb tackles, 2 PD, 2 INT).
- Frank Clark had a good game for his price and ADP. (1 tackle, 1 sack, 1 TFL).
- Von Miller was the star for the Broncos but remember his production is boom or bust. If he goes a week without a sack his tackle numbers usually aren’t good enough for a starting LB. (7 comb tackles, 3 sacks, 3 TFL).
- Brandon Marshall and Todd Davis had solid days as well and Marshall was a start I suggested. (6 comb tackles and 8 comb tackles).
- Bradley Chubb had a decent start to his NFL career. Same thing as Von Miller though he’ll be boom or bust. (3 comb tackles, .5 sack).
- Justin Simmons performed terrific and looks to be a decent tier 2 safety this season. (4 comb tackles, 1 PD, 1 INT).
Washington Redskins vs Arizona Cardinals
- The Skins looked legit and Sam Bradford looked like something my cat craps out after eating my cheesy snacks when she’s not supposed to. I feel bad for David Johnson, he won’t play a game this year without a stacked box with a passing game looking like that.
- Zach Brown and DJ Swearinger unsurprisingly led the way for the Redskins in tackles even though their offensive time of possession limited how many opportunities they got for IDP production. (5 comb tackles and 5 comb tackles, 1 PD).
- Budda Baker was the guy to own on the Cardinals and will be for years to come. (11 comb tackles).
- Josh Bynes and Antoine Bethea took advantage of the amount of time they spent on the field and had great games as well. Bynes may be a buy for me and Bethea is a wait and see I feel like most of that production came from extra opportunity due to Arizonas god awful offense. (11 comb tackles and 10 comb tackles, 1 TFL).
- Deone Buchanon and Chandler Jones met their projections and did what was expected. (7 comb tackles and 3 comb tackles, 1 sack).
Dallas Cowboys vs Carolina Panthers
- As a Cowboys fan this game made me want to rip my eyeballs out of my skull. That passing attack is garbage and if it doesn’t get fixed Ezekiel Elliot will be running into loaded boxes all season.
- Jaylon Smith and Sean Lee had sub par games especially considering the ideal matchup. (4 comb tackles, 1 sack and 4 comb tackles, 1 PD).
- Demarcus Lawrence was a one man wrecking crew. (7 comb tackles, 1 sack, 3 TFL).
- Kavon Frazier (Safety) was the surprise for the Cowboys. I’ll keep an eye on him I wouldn’t go buying just yet. (8 comb tackles, 1 TFL, 1 PD).
- Luke Keuchly once again was the man for the Panthers, no surprise here. (13 comb tackles).
- Enjoy Shaq Thompson while you can. Thomas Davis will be back after week 4. (9 comb tackles, 1 sack, 1 TFL)
- Mario Addison and Kawan Short did well on the defensive line for the Panthers. Short is always a great DT option. (3 comb tackles, 1.5 sacks and 2 comb tackles, 2 sacks, 2 TFL).
Chicago Bears vs Green Bay Packers
- Rodgers scared the crap out of a good portion of this country in the first half then came back slinging. Mack made Oakland look stupid by showing exactly what all that money pays for.
- Khalil Mack went crazy but be careful if he’s a LB in your league, this kind of production will be boom or bust. (3 comb tackles, 1 sack, 1 TFL, 1 PD, 1 INT, 1 TD).
- Roquan Smith barely played but saved his day with a sack. I’d hold off on playing him until he’s solidified his role unless your league is super deep and you have to play him. (3 comb tackles, 1 sack, 1 TFL).
- Adrian Amos did well at safety, he was a start from us this week. (6 comb tackles).
- Blake Martinez did well but is not even close to the pace he was on last season, we warned you. (6 comb tackles, 1 TFL).
- The Green Bay safeties did work in this game. My takeaway so far is Clinton-Dix is reliable and has been and Kentrell Brice hasn’t proven himself yet so tread carefully. (7 comb tackles and 9 comb tackles, 1 sack).
- Mike Daniels put up solid DT numbers, I’ll be keeping my eye on him. (3 comb tackles, 1 sack).
Detroit Lions vs New York Jets
- The Jets came out swinging and destroyed the Lions on national TV. This game went the opposite of how everyone expected with the Jets dominating time of possession and having their way with the Lions defense.
- The surprise here is Avery Williamson (3 comb tackles). I wouldn’t panic yet the game script (Lions couldn’t run the ball, Jets dominated TOP) wasn’t in his favor tonight. He’ll be fine.
- Daron Lee was on his way to a bad game as well also due to the way this game went but managed to salvage it in the second half with some bonus point plays and ended up with a monster game. (7 comb tackles, 3 PD, 2 INT, 1 TD).
- Jamal Adams did what we expected and looks to be a top 10 IDP safety this year. (6 comb tackles, 1 TFL, 3 PD, 1 INT).
- Jarrad Davis didn’t have such a hot start even with game script in his favor. (4 comb tackles).
- Quandre Diggs was the IDP to own on the Lions, especially with Darius Slay getting injured early and exiting the game. (4 comb tackles, 1 PD, 1 INT, 1 TD).
- Devon Kennard may be worth a look at LB for the Lions IDP. (6 comb tackles, 1 sack, 1 TFL).
- Ezekiel Ansah did well also. (4 comb tackles, 1 sack, 1 TFL).
Los Angeles Rams vs Oakland Raiders
- The Raiders kept it close for most of the game but the Rams put this game away in the 4th quarter with a heavy dose of Gurley and a pick-6 from Peters. This team looks scary good.
- John Johnson played very well and was a start from both me and Gary (@Hbogart27). He looks to be set up for a terrific year with the inexperience and lack of depth in front of him at linebacker. (9 comb tackles, 2 PD, 1 INT).
- Marcus Peters and Aquib Talib also did well (3 comb tackles, 1 PD, 1 INT, 1 TD and 7 comb tackles).
- Aaron Donald was a no show tonight and the Rams still killed the Raiders. (1 tackle).
- Micheal Brockers did work, if you can get him as a DT pull the trigger! (5 comb tackles, 1 sack, 1 TFL).
- Without Marc Barron (Injury) the Rams LB to own was Cory Littleton. He could still have a significant role even when Barron returns, pick him up where you can. (13 comb tackles, 1 PD).
- For the Raiders the linebacker to have is Tahir Whitehead, no surprise here. (7 comb tackles, 1 TFL, 1 PD).
- Marcus Gilchrist put up huge numbers at safety and could be a solid waiver pickup that we’ll keep an eye on, too early for me just yet. (8 comb tackles, 1 PD).
- Bruce Irvin saved his night with a sack but generally underperformed. (1 solo, 1 sack).
- Derrick Johnson was serviceable at MLB but there are better waiver wire options out there. (5 comb tackles).