Interview with Shemar Jean-Charles
Appalachian State Mountaineers #8 Cornerback
- Played for Miramar High School in Miramar, FL
- Rated a 2★ prospect by 247 Composite, Rivals & Scout.com
- 2020 Preseason All-Sun Belt Conference 2nd team by coaches
- 2020 Preseason Athlon Sports 2nd team
- 50 games played, 96 tackles, 61 solos, 1 TFL, 1 forced fumble, 2 interceptions, and 33 PBUs
- Led the Sun Belt Conference and the nation in PBUs with 17 in 2020
- Ranks #2 all-time in Sun Belt Conference history with 33 PBUs
— Devy IDP Grind Podcast (@DevyIDPGrind) October 31, 2020
Who introduced you to the game of football?
- My mom finally let go With my next-door neighbor to flag football practice when I was 6 years old and I fell in love with it ever since.
Why did you choose Appalachian State to further your football career?
- Signing week I only had 2 schools to choose from and Appalachian seemed like it would offer me the best opportunity in the long run both on and off the field.
You had offers from schools such as Cincinnati, Tulane, Northern Illinois, and others. If you hadn’t chosen App State where do you feel you would have gone and why?
- The funny thing is by signing week I only had Bowling Green and Appalachian state who were offering me a scholarship and if not Appalachian state I would have gone to bowling green to further my education.
In what way has Covid-19 impacted your everyday life the most?
- I would say the way it had affected so many other people, not being comfortable around large crowds and having to wear masks everywhere because we now live in a world of the unknown. Thank God nobody dead and close to me has been extremely impacted by covid.
What has been the biggest challenge in getting prepared to play football each week with Covid-19?
- The biggest challenge would be not knowing who would or wouldn’t be able to play every week. Someone could catch the virus or be impacted by contact tracing. One week we had almost ¼ of our team be affected from contact tracing alone. As for football though, nothing really changes once you hit that field, it’s all about playing to the best of your ability then.
What’s the one thing you need to improve most about your game?
- One thing that I can improve on would be sharpening my technique in both press and off coverage. There is always room for improvement whether that’s moving your feet, using your hands, good eye location on receivers, etc.
What’s the strongest part of your game?
- My strongest would be my anticipation of routes and being able to finish stronger than the receiver at the point of the ball. I pride myself on having violent hands when needed at the point of the catch for receivers. Being a willing tackler is important to me as well.
The top-5 CB duos in College Football
— PFF Draft (@PFF_College) October 7, 2020
Along with your teammate Shaun Jolly, you have been named one of the country’s best CB duos. What makes both of you together so good and how do your styles complement each other?
- We feed off of each other, when one of us makes a play it’s as if we both made it. We love the challenge of facing receivers every week. We always talk about football and it translates on the field. He’s like lighting with his quickness and I’m like thunder with my physicality, and together you have a storm.
What’s your favorite song of all-time?
- “Atomic Dog” by George Clinton
- Kodak Black “Me, Myself, and I”
What would you do career-wise, if you didn’t play football?
- I want to own a team someday
What one game would you recommend someone watch of your play?
- Charlotte from 2020 or South Carolina from 2019
What one game would you like to replay and why?
- Penn State because I believe we were the better team that day but made too many mistakes in the end. That atmosphere in overtime was something I will never forget
Do you play fantasy football?
- I do play but I been lacking for the past two seasons lol
1️⃣ꜱᴛ ᴛɪᴍᴇ 1️⃣ꜱᴛ ᴛᴇᴀᴍ!
App State has a first-team FBS 🏈 All-American for the first time with CB Shemar Jean-Charles' honor from the @WalterCampFF.
— App State Football (@AppState_FB) January 8, 2021
What NFL cornerback do you pattern your game after?
- Darrelle Revis or Tre’Davious White
What’s your favorite defensive play call & why?
- 2-man because I get to play underneath routes and play extra aggressive ( understanding I have help over the top on any deep routes)
Do you believe in soulmates?
- I believe that every person you come in contact with is meant to be in your life for a reason.
What opposing player was the toughest for you to cover and why?
- The overall best receiver I faced in my career would be Watkins from UAB, he had pretty good size and speed and hands
Who is the one opposing player that you want to lay the wood on most? Why?
- Everyone I face because I have no friends on the football field
Now that your senior season is over what are your plans for the future?
- I plan on training and becoming the best version of myself possible as I pursue my dream of playing in the NFL
Where do you plan to train and get ready for the NFL draft?
- I’m training back in south Florida where I’m originally from at “Bommaritos Performance” in Davie Fl.
If you had to tell an inspiring HS player what the hardest part of playing college ball is, what would it be and why?
- Understanding that your journey is YOUR journey. Never compare your situation to the next players. Take pride in the grind and if you really want it then go get it. Demand respect for your actions, not your words. I would also tell players to have fun because it goes by faster than you think.
If you had to give any pointers, what would they be?
- My biggest pointer would be “the smartest players play” the more you study the more likely you’ll play early, and the more your coaches will trust you.
Thanks for reading my article and if you enjoyed it, you can read more of my articles on my author page at IDP Guys. I am a member of the FSWA (Fantasy Sports Writers of America). You can also follow me on social media, on Twitter at @HollywoodTitan, on Facebook on my IDPNation page, on Reddit in the fantasy football IDP sub I’m user KingTitan1 and you can tune in each week and listen to the podcasts, IDP Nation & Devy IDP Grind, that I co-host, on a number of different platforms. Feel free to hit me up with any questions that you have, as I’m always glad to help fellow IDPers. #IDPNation #IDP #IDPDevy